Wednesday, June 11, 2014

How we're getting through summer!

I know it would seem weird that I don't know how to do summer with two grown kids...but our girls were homeschooled, so spring morphed into summer morphed into fall, and I don't think I ever had this sense of making 'the best summer ever'.  That, and we were always travelling, and well...

This is kind of our first "normal" summer.  Last summer, the littles were still so traumatized, and JUST coming out of the 'honeymoon' phase--I think we were just trying to not drown!

I don't know if it's Utah, or if other Moms feel pressure to make each and every day special...but I was feeling really overwhelmed.  Our littles, too, for whatever reason, have a 'Disneyland' mentality that we struggle with a lot.  (have insight?  Do share on that one!)

Anyhow--what is working for us now is to alternate days.  Tuesday and Thursdays I refuse to go anywhere, or figure out anything fun for them--only slight facilitating their own ideas.  M,W,F, I surprise them with the 'fun thing for the day'--pool, a movie, snow cones, ect.  This is helping a lot!  Two days a week, THEY are learning to hunt bugs, self entertain, play in a normal way, do chores, and BE BORED--which I think is so good for them.  And on those other days, we do something great!

I am feeling a lot less frazzled, and they are slowing down, emotionally, and becoming more  appreciative of what we do!

I just wish I had more time with my teens!  Both when they were 5 and 7, and now.  I get the supreme blessing of parenting this age again--but it won't bring any time back with my daughters!




3 comments:

Kristi said...

Sounds like a good plan! But I would do MWF stay home and T TH some kind of treat :-)
Have you seen the How to Have a 70's Summer post that is going around on Facebook? I definitely think there is starting to be a backlash against "pinteresting" everything, including summer. Kids can make their own fun. We did :-)

Kore and possibly Eric. said...

I think it is so needed for our kids to do that. Our girls were so good at it, and I took it for granted. Our littles are struggling with it! Fridays don't really count--because I tend to mostly run errands 'for fun'. :)

Kore and possibly Eric. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.